Monday 12 September 2011

The Secret Diary of a Tenant


Usually moving to another place looks like a piece of cake but quite often it turns out to be a tiresome and time consuming process.That’s probably why Nomads are now mentioned only in history books and there are not many of those that are still alive.Don’t get me wrong-I love packing up for a trip to a distant country or a ship cruise but  like any other normal person I have the  extraordinary ability to do things in the hard way when moving out of a rental apartment.

So here’s the diary  of the average ex – tenant based on  true stories  - last 14 days before changing properties:
Day 1: Too early to  think about luggage when there are so many friends to see before you leave.
Day 2: What a pity losing that sunny day packing when you can spend it at the beach.
Day 3: A feeling of growing restlessness appears. Maybe I should try packing some of my stuff tomorrow.
Day 4: I don’t feel very well . Maybe I should rest in bed today – too much stress this week.
Day 5: I finally did my laundry before packing my clothes.
Days 6 and 7: Waiting for my clothes to dry. I cannot pack if they are wet – isn’t that right?  
Day 8: I finally meet my landlord to arrange a final inspection in 7 days. Maybe I should look for some good moving out cleaners services.
Day 9: I call a few friends and organise a  dinner movie  night at home. Now I should look for oven cleaning services as well as I will finally use the oven to cook something nice for them.
Day 10: I’m starting to feel the pressure. People keep asking me when am I leaving.
Day 11: I call all of my friends  to complain how stressful it is to move out. Time starts to pressure me.
Day 12: I’m finally calling a cleaning company to arrange some moving out cleaners services. Most of the cleaners inform me that  they cannot organize a cleaning in such a short notice but I finally managed to get myself a deal for a discounted price for booking move in cleaning services with the same cleaners.
Day 13: I’m calling a few companies to arrange removal services for tomorrow. No luck with that in such short notice.  I have to call my uncle to give me a hand with his truck tomorrow.
Day 14: Total mess – my uncle is late , the cleaners are already there as they arrived earlier..I have to get rid of tons of junk before the cleaning and have to pack all of my clothes and belongings for just an hour. Stress, panic...nerves. My landlord is getting  impatient as I promised her to hand in the keys  before 5.00pm.
Eventualy I’m done around 9.00pm and go for a beer with friends to relax after the busy fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment